Wine & Dine Through Shangrila & Yunnan's Tibetan Region 8-day Trip
- Duration: 8 Days (approx.)
Note: A 3,000 RMB per person deposit is required to reserve your spot. Remaining balances are collected 14 days before the trip starts.
Our founder Ruixi has personally curated every bite and every meal in this 8-day, food-forward adventure through the amazing landscapes and ancient villages of Yunnan’s Tibetan autonomous region. This tour is recommended to those who enjoy wine, Tibetan yogurts and milk teas, and all manner of rich soups and stews, as the region’s grasslands and canyons create the perfect conditions and appetites for all of the above. You’ll try dozens and dozens of plates, while stopping at wineries and enjoying landscapes and villages that are far off the tourist path.
- 7 nights accommodations.
- All meals, including beer (and wine when available) for dinner. Food will be plentiful and varied!
- Ticket/entrance fees at attractions.
- Our own private ground transportation, provided each day, stocked with mineral water.
- English speaking Lost Plate trip leader.
- Basic travel insurance.
- Airport pick-up in Lijiang on day 1.
- Airport drop-off in Shangrila on day 8.
- Shopping is available during your free time, but this is a no-shopping tour and is not part of our itinerary.
- Online pre-trip briefing and Q&A by Lost Plate one week prior to departure.
- The local cuisine throughout Yunnan is just as varied and special as the minorities that make it. Try a huge variety of homemade dishes in small villages and homes, like this cured pork and bean stew.
- Visit villages far off the tourist track filled with local minority groups that live like they have for generations.
- Explore stunning local wineries to taste a variety of locally produced red and white wines and learn about the history behind the winemakers.
- Discover Yubeng Village, known locally as "heaven on earth," which sits below Yunnan's highest peak and is only accessible via a bumpy jeep ride over high mountain passes.
- Climb up to see the largest Tibetan Monastery in Yunnan at the top of a pedestrian-only village outside of Shangrila that dates back to 1679.
- Meet a local Tibetan family in the grasslands outside Shangrila to try Tibetan butter tea, homemade yogurt, and highland barley bread.
This tour takes place at high altitude, with elevations ranging between 2500m and 4000m above sea level. This trip is not recommended to those who might be sensitive to high altitudes. The nature of this trip is remote and off the beaten path, which means it’s perfect for those with an adventurous spirit. It also means longer bus journeys and visits to small, remote villages with fewer conveniences and shopping. The jeep ride to Yubeng village will be bumpy and also includes a 15-20 minute walk from the jeep to our guesthouse on dirt paths. A small overnight bag/backpack is necessary for this portion of the trip.
If you’re looking for a more relaxed journey with free time exploring Yunnan’s popular ancient towns and villages, then our trip from Dali to Lijiang along Yunnan’s Tea & Horse Caravan Road will be more appropriate.