Eat Your Way Through Yunnan's Tea & Horse Caravan Road, from Dali to Lijiang
- Duration: 8 Days (approx.)
Note: A 3,000 RMB per person deposit is required to reserve your spot. Remaining balances are collected 14 days before the trip starts.
Eat and explore your way through Yunnan’s Tea & Horse Caravan Road, from Dali to Lijiang, plus a unique overnight stay in Tiger Leaping Gorge. Plentiful local meals, cooking classes, market tours, and hot pots galore – the perfect way to explore Yunnan’s diverse culture is through their equally diverse cuisine.
Spend 8 days in the land of cured ham legs, homemade breads, bubbling bowls of rice noodles, and fried local cheese. It’s where Chinese artists come to escape the nation’s newfound love of tarmac. Its occupants are the modern heirs of the sages, musicians, chefs, and painters who’ve always been here in some form or another. Local live-music bars and evening bonfire square-dance sessions are opt-ins we highly recommend on this tour. And to us, that constant ebb and flow of peoples and their appetites in a climate well suited to agriculture, means it’s the perfect storm for all things crazy delicious.
We have personally curated this 7-night, 8-day food and sightseeing tour from Dali to Lijiang with a few stops in between – and it’s become one of our most popular trips! It’s a great balance between fun interactive activities and free-time to explore the old towns of Yunnan on your own.
This tour takes place at high altitude, with elevations ranging between 2000m and 2500m above sea level. The nature of this trip is relaxed. Van rides typically don’t last more than 2 hours, all strenuous activities are completely optional, and you’ll have plenty of time to explore, cafe-hop, or shop during your free time.
- 7 nights accommodations.
- All meals, including beer (and wine when available) for dinner. Food will be plentiful and varied!
- Ticket/entrance fees at attractions.
- Our own private ground transportation, provided each day, stocked with mineral water.
- English speaking Lost Plate trip leader.
- Basic travel insurance.
- Airport pick-up in Dali on day 1.
- Airport drop-off in Lijiang on day 8.
- Shopping is available during your free time, but this is a no-shopping tour and is not part of our itinerary.
- Online pre-trip briefing and Q&A by Lost Plate one week prior to departure.
- Visit ancient old-towns and fairytale villages as you discover boutique cafes and the best local cuisine you'll only find with us.
- Visit a beautiful rose farm that sprawls for acres while your guide instructs you on how to make one of the most popular local treats: rose cakes.
- Cycle through Shaxi and the surrounding countryside, stopping at a hidden-away hillside cafe and exploring a one-of-a-kind book store completely tucked away in an ancient neighboring village.
- Get the unique chance to spend the night in Tiger Leaping Gorge, in your own private villa, with incredible balcony and poolside views.
- Explore Lijiang's oldest market to shop shoulder to shoulder with Naxi locals before preparing lunch in a private cooking studio with a local Naxi family.
- All meals are included, plentiful, and include beer! Enjoy cured meats, fried cheese, hotpots, and dozens of plates every day.
Visit our website for a full day-to-day itinerary.